Sunday, October 12, 2014

Sock story

We are in the South. 85-90 degrees until middle of October is normal here, that is probably when it's getting little bit colder - I am freezing! That is when I am thinking about all the stuff I have not knitted for myself yet.
 SOCKS are number one in my list. I really-really want warm and pretty woolen socks for myself. The kind you knit on N1 or N2 DPN's. Light and cozy! May be strompe- the norwegian double-stranded kind. Or something lacy. Or something plain. Or something on magic loop!
But no! I don't owe any knitted socks. Shame on me.
I've knitted couple of slippers. In the beginning of my knitting journey I managed to make a giant one. Elephant size. It was before I knew gauge and swatch and all that magic. Little bit later I made ones of cotton. They were so stretchy. They was falling of my feet. I got so annoyed that I had to throw them away :) That was before I knew a difference between fibers. I made ones for my husband's niece! Of cotton! Total disaster. Poor child smiled, said thank you and probably never got to wear it.
  Now I know better!
 Knitting Daily has wonderful post on knitting socks here. It is worth reading.
 Wonderful Staci has great tutorials for knitting socks on her VeryPink.com.
 If you google simple "how to knit socks" you will find about 44000 results with tutorials, videos and everything you need. And funny thing is - I always had internet and computer and I still managed to spend two days to knit one giant elephant sock. I wish I'd kept it.  I'd made beautiful pictures with it for this post. But I did not. Pity.
 I have planned sock knitting for the closest future. If I'll find yarn for it in my stash. If not.. I guess I'll have to wait a bit. But I am sure I will get to it. There is no knitter without warm cozy knitted socks!

No comments:

Post a Comment